Second treatment..

These most recent blogs are all a little factual and just a chronological order of what has happened during my  first two new treatments. I think that it is important to record these as everyone’s journey is different and they are scary – especially when you don’t know what to expect.

Yesterday I had my 2nd MRI scan to check what the tumour was doing and to help plan my next treatment accurately which was done today. As we waited the nurse came over and said that they were going to take me to use the MRI scanner in the Childrens Hospital as it would be quicker and we joked that it was because I had a small head and as I was wee I didn’t need to use the adult one!! She said that the scanner in the Childrens was also more therapeutic. Well – that was an absolute laugh!! It was just the same and so loud this time it was anything but therapeutic!

My treatment was scheduled at 9:00 a.m. I had the mask put on to have the first head scan done which helps again to pinpoint my treatment.  Whilst I was about to go in I saw my neurologist who told me that I had responded well to the first treatment and it was positive news in that the tumour has shrunk by almost half. I smiled and said that was really good news and just what I needed to hear. I then proceeded to cry and then for some strange reason I clapped my hands in delight!!!

There is still a long way to go but it was more than I had imagined or even possibly hoped for. Of course we were hoping for some shrinkage but almost half in the first treatment was just incredible to hear and another positive to focus on.

The treatment itself took 37 minutes and they did let me know when 10 minutes were left to go, but it wasn’t as scary this time as I think knowing what to expect the process seemed to go much quicker today. Neil and Amy came in while I was being prepped and they took pictures! The mask was much tighter this time, in fact so tight I couldn’t speak! It really was a second skin and there was no way I was moving once I was strapped on to that table! Once the treatment had finished and the mask came off I looked liked I had lizard skin!! And it took about 15 minutes for the markings to go away!

On a more serious note, I am feeling fairly tired but I didn’t really sleep brilliantly last night – I wasn’t really worried about today but I just found it difficult to switch my brain off – lots of questions but no real fears or dreads. I am also quite drained – it has also been a fairly emotional day. I had this week off work and to be honest I am so glad I did as what a busy week this has turned out to be!!

To end the week I have no more appointments so we are having a family day out in Bath, relax, recoup and spend some quality time together. Some well earned and deserved – even if I do say so myself!

So for all your delight here are the pictures!!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s